www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

It has been pointed out to us that we are in danger of disclosing too much information about bird locations, particularly raptors - especially with the nesting season coming up soon.

To say that "one flew over" or similar is probably acceptable but please do not give out locations that are too precise.

The problem is that whilst we know the majority of the birders registered with this forum we also know that there are a large number of people viewing this forum who are not registered. There may be some of these who have questionable motives. We do not know this for certain, but it is best that we take precautions - for the birds' sake.

It has been suggested that anyone wishing to have further details should "pm" the poster.

We really hate having to post this but it is for the good of the birds at the end of the day. Your co-operation will be appreciated by all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Since we are approaching the breeding season I would remind everyone of the content of this thread. "It's for the good of the birds, after all"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:22 pm 
Global Moderator

With the breeding season commencing I am requesting that all forum members refrain from posting details of rare breeding birds from the North Wales area and rest of the UK, unless at well publicised sites where there is permenant protection already in place i.e. the Porthmadog Ospreys and Gronant Little Terns are ok to post about. This is to assist the safety of birds which are legally protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981 and are threatened by general disturbance/illegal activities in the breeding season. Scarce breeding birds clearly on passage/migration in the North Wales area are fine e.g. Dotterel, Greenshank, Little Gull etc, but please consider whether a bird may decide to breed before making it known on the forum.

In order to protect the rarest of our birds at this vulnerable and challenging time of year for them I will edit any postings which make mention of the species listed below in particular (from the Schedule 1 Breeding Bird species list), at specific known or potential breeding sites:

Avocet
Barn Owl
Bearded Tit
Bittern
Black-necked Grebe
Black Redstart
Cetti's Warbler
Chough
Common Rosefinch
Dartford Warbler
Garganey
Golden Eagle
Goshawk
Hen Harrier
Hobby
Honey Buzzard
Little Ringed Plover
Kingfisher
Mediterranean Gull
Merlin
Osprey
Parrot Crossbill
Peregrine
Quail
Red-backed Shrike
Red Kite
Roseate Tern
Ruff
Serin
Spoonbill
Spotted Crake
Woodlark

I hope everyone understands and I hope to not have to interfere much. If you have any questions about individual situations please send me a PM or an e-mail at henerz1@ yahoo.co.uk (space put in the e-mail address to avoid spam, please delete the space when e-mailing me).

For further information on schedule 1 breeding bird species please see:
http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwor ... birds.aspx
http://www.jncc.gov.uk/PDF/waca1981_schedule1.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm 
Global Moderator

As we enter the breeding season I am asking everyone to omit the species listed in my post above from their reports unless they are obviously migrants and away from potential breeding areas. This is to help keep away unwanted attention on threatened, vulnerable and persecuated species. Reporting from well publicised breeding sites, such as the Glasyn Ospreys, are fine as these have been considered on an individual basis and receive protection and surveilance etc. If anyone is unsure on a particular sighting/report please send me a private message and I'll get back to you.

Many thanks.
Henry.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm 
Global Moderator

Just a reminder now we are in the breeding season to please not mention the location of schedule 1 breeding species in your posts, in order to not bring unwanted attention to our rarest breeding species.
A list of the species can be further up on this thread.
Many thanks.
Henry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:48 pm 
Global Moderator

As we now in to this year's breeding season can I please ask everyone to refrain from posting sightings of rare breeding species with site information particularly rare raptors such as Red Kites, Goshawks and Hen Harriers. If the birds involved are clearly migrants or at reserves where the species is publicly advertised it is fine to post them on here.

Please pm me if you would like clarification on individual matters.

Many thanks and good birding!

Henry.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]