www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where Has Everyone Gone?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:36 pm 

I'm not a regular here as I live in England but I used to find everyone's observations really interesting & helpful especially leading upto and during our holiday visits. But posts seem to have tailed off significantly of late. I can see there is activity on Twitter (Shirley, Elfyn etc.) but how do they link up unless everyone knows everyone else by name? Is there another forum that I haven't discovered yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm 

Paul, where has everyone gone indeed.

I started a Facebook group for the Lleyn Peninsula to get folk to share their sighting from the peninula, strangly enough I wrote on the group yesterday that there still is not an input for sighting in that area.
I could say wow I have over a hundred members but hang on a mo, there are only about 6 people posting their sightings, mostly the same people that used to post on here. The person who became the 100 member is from New Zealand and how that happen I don't know, on their Facebook page there are no birds at all, weird or what.

Birding Wales is for rare and rare birds only but there are only a few and there are a lot of people searching for them in Clwyd, I mean Robin won't mind me saying about the birds on his group.

There is Twitter but with Twitter your post has disappeared in 2 mins.

There is still room for this forum but it needs change, what change can be done, put suggestions out.

Start from scratch again and maybe stick to birds as the title suggests everything else out.
Sightings, all birds, discussion and photos, remember all those years ago of photos flooding posts and threads, maybe I have the answer to that. How to ID a bird, photos consists of head, wing and tail, with three photos a bird should be identified and all the other birds i.e common like a Yellowhammer one photo is enough. So therefor max of 3 photos per post.

All the old sections, deleted them, everyone's posts reduced to zero, if this particular web won't allow change find one that does.

:D posted in good faith. I was able to create a Facebook group because of the knowledge I got off here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:44 pm 

Thanks Shirley. I had a look at the Facebook page but I don't think it's really something I'd be keen to join in with. I've had several FB pages over the years and abandoned all of them cos' it always seemed they started to control me rather than me them. I'm looking for a site such as this forum which focuses on bird sightings rather than who is friends with who, where they've worked and what school they went to 40 years ago!

So I'll keep visiting here occasionally but rely on RBA for most of my info. It's picking up pointers on where to see exciting but not necessarily rare birds that I struggle with and that is where this forum is really useful. For example the Greenshank is one of my favourite birds and I can be perfectly happy just watching them for hours. I don't see many near where I live on the edge of the Peak District and I usually rely on catching up with this species here in Wales. Similarly I occasionally find birds that local year-listers might be keen to see (eg. the Hooded Crow I found at Criccieth on Sunday or the Black Guillemot I also found in Criccieth last year) but don't necessarily merit reporting to the national birdlines.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Sadly, traffic on this site has dropped dramatically. This is largely due the the use of social media channels. The worst thing is that, IHMO at least, this type of forum platform is far superior. That's progress for you , I guess....
I am the founder and admin of this site and I am actively looking for a more modern platform which will allow free and easy access from all hardware, from desktop PCs to mobile phones but it is a big decision....