www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:53 pm 

One Hawfinch flew out of Nannerch Hall and across the road into the churchyard on 26th Dec. Better late than never, wouldn't be surprised if it's still around from time to time though, and there's prob more than one too.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Interesting sighting Mike. County rarity IIRC.
Did you see the bird yourself or was it reported to you? Not all that far from Halkyn, the only relaiable sight for Hawfinch in Flintshire until about 10 years ago, Only a short hop over the hill, and plenty of decent habitat around there as well.

Clwyd Bird Recording Group|Deeside Naturalists Society

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:11 pm 

Hi Wally, lucky enough to see it myself as I was packing my car having been staying with my cousin and family. Are Hawfinch no longer to be seen in Halkyn then? I remember seeing them there a long time ago.. along with Lady Amhersts Pheasant *cough ahem*! ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ive never seen them there, and i've been birdwatching (again) for the last 10 years, but got to admit I havent looked for maybe the last 5. Might be worth another look, although I know other people who always seem to draw a blank.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 pm 

Yes I've not heard any sightings from there for a fair old while. I've popped in on the odd occasion in the last 10 years or so too but no joy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:27 pm 

Well I haven't been to Nannerch or Halkyn for Hawfinches but this winter is certainly a very good year for the species (for me at least). On 29th December I had at least 7 at Maentwrog Churchyard, then on 4th January saw 6 at Llanelltyd again in the Churchyard (with 30 Bramblings nearby at Precipice Walk) followed by 7 again at Maentwrog on 9th January. Perhaps I should start a yearlist? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:37 pm 

That would be a "first" surely - a list of all the Hawfinches seen in one year!
Good stuff, I've only had one so far. And no Brambling, which seem a bit few and far between at the mo? Precipice walk is lovely, many fond memories from round that area as a youngster.
Oh and Cidermaster had a Lesser Spot in or by Maentwrog churchyard a while back, so worth having a look and listen if anyones passing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:57 pm 

Believe me I am looking (and listening) for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers everywhere I go!!

Just back from seeing at least 2 (and possibly a lot more) Bramblings near Pwllheli feeding on beech mast. I haven't checked Glasfryn Hall grounds yet; must be a good chance of them there too (as there is a large avenue of beech trees and it is agood year for mast).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:04 pm 

Well I checked Glasfryn Hall near Pencaenewydd yesterday and today and both times saw only 3 Bramblings in quite large flocks of Chaffinches. Yesterday they were visible from the road by the Lodge "Drofa" at the bottom of the drive; but today the flock was feeding on the drive edges up near the lake (private).

[Also tried for Cetti's Warbler(s) again on the Boduan part of Cors Geirch without success.]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Went for a drive around Nannerch last week, just for a look, on the way back from Afonwen (BKG still there). Obvisouly as it was Sunday the church and surrounding area were busy, but It looked promising. Couple of big trees and a Yew tree or 2, so maybe we've all been looking in the wrong place for Hawfinch!

Also. . . our Local village produce a news letter, and in there is a 'Natures notes' section written by a guy who lives in my street, he claims to have Hawfinch and LSW in his garden. So, my feeders are now well stocked, and my newly acquired bird table has lots of appertising seed, you never know your luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:16 pm 

At least 3 Hawfinches at Llanelltyd churchyard today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:39 pm 

Easily a dozen birds there Sunday the 15th. Mixed up with Chaffinches. In the lower field 4 male & 3 female Bullfinch on the old Dock weed seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Nannerch or Llanelltyd?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:10 pm 

Sorry, Llanelltyd churchyard. Seen from the lower wall looking up at the church.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:56 pm 

At least 2 Hawfinch just now in the churchyard - Nannerch Hall area. One seen in flight yesterday too.
Merry Crimble to all on the forum.