www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:48 pm 

Thanks to Austin for asking about viewing at World's End

The best way to view all the birds at World's End is from the car. Birds are fine with cars but flush easily once people get out and walk about. Use the car as a mobile hide along the minor road and with patience you will get great views of all the birds here. Black Grouse are Schedule 1 protected birds so you need a licence to photograph them, but have never heard of anyone having problems taking pics from the car. Head out across the moor with a camera and that would be illegal if birds flushed, which of course they would. Not only illegal but not good for the birds so please this Spring can people view ONLY from the road. Every year some people just have to get a little closer and the birds are disturbed.

Enjoy the birding but please leave the birds in peace for their sake and other birders that follow.

Many thanks and good birding

Alan and Ruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:31 pm 

Hi Alan and Ruth
An excellent Post.
There is no doubt whatsoever that you can view the many special birds that are pesent in the area from the road that runs across the moorland,and one of the nicest things about this is that the various passing points afford you totally panoramic views in all directions.

Cheers Denzil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:39 pm 

Went to Worlds End today, managed some lovely views of a Great Grey Shrike sat in a small tree on the moor, never managed a photo though, could hear lots of Grouse and saw 3 but not sure which ones they were, if they were Black Grouse they were females, if not they may have been Red Grouse, then to top the afternoon off had some lovely views of a Short Eared Owl quartering the moors,
managed a few pics of the SEO but nothing very good.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:41 pm 

the biggest twitch wrote:
Thanks to Austin for asking about viewing at World's End

The best way to view all the birds at World's End is from the car. Birds are fine with cars but flush easily once people get out and walk about. Use the car as a mobile hide along the minor road and with patience you will get great views of all the birds here. Black Grouse are Schedule 1 protected birds so you need a licence to photograph them, but have never heard of anyone having problems taking pics from the car. Head out across the moor with a camera and that would be illegal if birds flushed, which of course they would. Not only illegal but not good for the birds so please this Spring can people view ONLY from the road. Every year some people just have to get a little closer and the birds are disturbed.

Enjoy the birding but please leave the birds in peace for their sake and other birders that follow.

Many thanks and good birding

You only need a licence if you want to photograph them at the nest site,if it is a public place,tthen there is no problem photographing the birds, I had this discussion on here last year with a certain member ,then emailed Natural England,who clarified what I have said above.

Alan and Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:51 am 

I still have not been able to get to Worlds End and was wondering if i went in November what birds would i possibly see.
I like the idea of viewing from the car and using it as a mobile hide. Much warmer !!!!. Any advice on visiting Worlds End would be very much appreciated.
Regards, Graham.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:53 pm 

GrahamEdwards wrote:
I still have not been able to get to Worlds End and was wondering if i went in November what birds would i possibly see.
I like the idea of viewing from the car and using it as a mobile hide. Much warmer !!!!. Any advice on visiting Worlds End would be very much appreciated.
Regards, Graham.

I found this video on Youtube filmed this week - so seems November is as good a month as any other!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXznkFM ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:07 pm 

Thanks for that video , all the more reason why i should go pretty soon. Great footage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:35 pm 

Had a stroll along Offa's Dyke path to Llandegla Forest in the mist this lunchtime. The complete silence was broken only by plenty of flighty red grouse telling me to "go back go back go back" which was good advice as, when I got back to the car, there was a great grey shrike sat about 100 metres away. Lovely bird.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]