www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Moths 2017
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 am 

Could anyone please ID this moth on my wall this morning.
ImageAny moth by Shirley Roulston, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

It looks like The Clay - Mythimna farrago

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:45 pm 

Thank you Mr. Swift. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 pm 

My thought too. A bit worn so not easy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 am 

A good night for migrants last night. A single Palpita vitrealis on top of the trap , a new moth for VC48. Other migrants ,Singles of Delicate,Rush Veneer, E. ferrugalis and 8 Silver Y. Red Swordgrass have appeared here again after a six year absence (possible migrant!)
Non migrants ,Many Black Rustic,Green-brindled Crescent,Feathered Ranunculus.22 species in all.

John.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:02 pm 

Good to read your post John and catch tyo be pleased with with those migrants.

I didn't risk last night in view of forecast. As it turned out I was right - we had a violent thunder storm and lots of lightening. The night before I had a new for garden micro - Blastobasis lacticolella. The only migrant a Dark Sword-grass but I get them quite often. Black Rustics are present at each trapping usually at least 3. Green-brindled Crescent has been nice to have a couple of times last week. I checked the ivy flowers last night and was disappointed to find nothing.

Another new for the garden last week was a male Gem. I had a female in 2015 but the colours are quite different.

I had a disaster with my 125 MV Skinner a couple of weeks ago; I took the risk of not putting a cover over the bulb. As it happened the forecast was wrong and the bulb blew to smithereens and the box, which was in the Lounge melted on top and underneath. Fortunately, no damage was done to the carpet. Completely my own fault - I've got away with it in the past when there have been light showers and I'm convinced catches aren't as good with a cover over the light.

Margery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:04 pm 

We missed the thunderstorm Margery, the bulb did blow off my trap, probably just before I got there as the P.vitrealis was on top of the perspex.

it's unfortunate about your bulb blowing but luckily no serious damage.Was it a 125w mercury vapour? I always find these stand up to showers at least without any damage. By contrast we sometimes use a 160w mdb on field trips as you don't need a choke with these, but they explode at the first drop of rain.
It's been a funny old mothing season, very few of any of the Underwings and some of the usually common species failed to show up at all.
The ragwort plants have been completely devoid of the usual Cinnabar caterpillars, but many more fox moth caterpillars than usual, funnily enough we don't get the moths at light.
It's been very quiet on here recently, I wonder if some of the others are still mothing?

John.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm 

It's proving an exciting week for me mothwise.

Whilst watering my tomatoes in the polytunnel I disturbed an unusual looking moth which when potted up turned out to be a Slender Burnished Brass. No doubt arrived on the back of Ophelia! According to the books only around 100 previous records mainly from the south coast.
Be interesting to see if any more immigrants are lingering over the next few nights.

John.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:54 pm 

I'm still keeping mothing, although haven't posted here for a while. I've had a reasonable summer, if not much of real note. Unlike you John, I did quite well for underwings, with over 100 Large Yellow in the trap one night, and mine is only a 40w actinic light. I gave up on MBT after doing the same as Margery, and decided it wasn't worth the cost of the bulbs!
Catches this week have been good for the time of year. 23 moths of 13 species last night- mostly what would be expected, but Ophelia blew a Vestal my way, which I haven't seen since 2011, and a wandering Large wainscot, which again I have not seen for at least two years. From the colouring of the Vestal [pale yellow with a brownish stripe] I would think it was of European origin, rather than any further south.

Derek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:12 pm 

Strange about the Yellow Underwings Derek. Large Yellows are usually my most common summer moth, I used to get them in 3 figures too but far less here this year.
Like you, I had a Large Wainscot the other night after a 6 year absence.Also a Vestal, I hear that hundreds of Vestals are being caught mainly on the south coast.
Perhaps we will have more migrants arriving on the back of this next gale.
John.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am 

On the back of Storm Brian 2 White Specks turned up this morning in the garden trap. Last seen here in 2008.
Plus 4 Silver Y. and a Dark Swordgrass. So many Radfords Flame Shoulders being caught in the South coast area,surely it's only a matter of time before they reach North Wales.
John.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 pm 

I think, according to the forecast, that last night was for a time, the end of the southerly winds.
Didn't do too bad. Over 25 moths again. Mainly November moth aggs, Red- Green carpets amd LBAM's, which between them accounted for over half the catch.
However, there were also five Feathered thorn, a Merveille du jour, and a Rusty dot pearl in there as well, plus other stuff.
The Rusty dot pearl was the only immigrant. I've had one before, but not very often

Derek